Friday, October 3, 2008

Fox News Junkie

Ok, it's time for me to come clean. I've become a news junkie. Yes, it's true...and I don't think I'm going to be able to give it up at least not for the next four weeks or until the election is over. I remember my dad watching Walter Cronkite during our dinner time and it was loud. We weren't allowed to talk if Walter was talking and only during the commercials were we allowed to ask for someone to "please pass the peas" or "can I please have the salt?" I am not that bad I promise but I fear I'm turning into one of those people that only watches the news. Based on what's on tv these days that might not be a bad thing.

I don't watch soap operas or Oprah or Dr. Phil...might I not be as hip as I hope? My favorite shows are Hannity and Colmes, Grey's Anatomy, The O'Reilly Factor, Dirty Jobs and I really like Neil Cavuto...he cracks me up. I probably spend about 90% of my tv watching time on the news and the rest is just filler...I do love Grey's though.

I keep telling myself that this new infatuation with the news is because it's an election year and it's important for me to pay attention. You know, be informed. I want to know what's happening with the candidates, I check the polls daily and pray to God that the right person ends up in office. I get excited when Sarah Palin says, "Doggone it", because that's one of my favorite sayings and I love it when Sean Hannity has to talk super loud to get the last word in over his partner Colmes. And just to be fair...I do really like Anderson Cooper on CNN, he's got it together. Yes, I recorded the debates and recorded all the interviews with Sarah Palin. I just didn't want to miss any of it. She inspires me and makes me think that anything is possible. Especially for a woman...a Christian woman at that.

Maybe I should just cut myself some slack and admit that I just really like the news. There isn't anything wrong with that...right? I promise to tell you if I start muting my children during dinner so that I can hear the latest from my friend Neil. If that starts to happen than I know I've crossed the line and that takes me right back to my old friend Walter Cronkite...would someone please pass the salt?

No comments: