Monday, March 30, 2009

You're Gonna Miss This

You're Gonna Miss This
by Trace Adkins
You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back,
You're gonna wish those days
hadn't gone by so fast.
These are some good times,
So take a good look around.
You may not know it now,
but
You're gonna miss this...
This is one of my favorite songs right now. It captures a sentiment that I think many of us quickly sweep over as we go about our days. We don't take the time to really experience the here and now, instead we wish for the future. We are dissatisfied with the present, and so we focus on something else, wishing for something different instead of relishing every single moment we have right now.
When Zach and Kayla were little I was admittedly exhausted, weary and irritable a lot. Any mom can tell you that having two toddlers at the same time is a full time job and there isn't a lot of energy left to handle much more. Zach and Kayla were almost exactly a year apart. They are in fact one year and ten days apart. When Kayla was born Zach was not walking, still taking a bottle and had just dropped the 4am feeding. The first few months of Kayla's life are a blur, there aren't as many photos of her as there are of Zach during this time; probably because the camera was buried beneath the mountain of diapers we went through.
I remember Zach was ready to drop his nap but I wasn't ready so he had quiet time in his crib while Kayla slept. That turned into my sanity time...usually I collapsed on the couch and fell asleep just in time for one of them to wake up, needing me again.
As much as I remember being exhausted and crabby during that time, I also remember the joy of holding my sweet babies when they woke from their naps. I remember holding them and smelling their sweet smell. I remember giving them raspberries on their chubby tummies, and bath time, reading Good Night Moon at bedtime and praying over them when they went to sleep.
I remember wanting to soak them up because every single day they changed. They crawled, they walked, they ran...and now they are so big that to hold them on my lap I have to be on the couch so it's big enough.
Where does the time go? Why does it go so fast? And how can I keep from wishing I could go back and do it all again?
Yes, I miss those days, I want them back but I know there is no turning back the clock. So, every day I'm going to try and soak them up because before I know it...they'll be adults with their own families wondering the very same thing.

No comments: