Tuesday, June 2, 2009

What kind of friend are you?

What kind of friend are you?

I was thinking today that I want to be the kind of friend that listens first and asks questions later. I want to be the kind of friend that gives the benefit of the doubt, doesn't pass judgement, offers input only when asked, meets someone halfway and forgives quickly never holding a grudge. I confess that this is my wishlist because I know I'm not these things, and in fact can be quite lazy in my friendships, always being the one who needs filling up but not doing a very good job of filling anyone else. Probably if you asked my friends if I meet any of the aforementioned criteria they would tell you that I most likely interrupt, ask a lot of questions, analyze everything, give input no matter what, can be quite judgemental and have in fact held grudges. But I think they would also tell you that I love them, that I try to be a good listener and that more often than not I'm going to tell them the truth. I'm definitely not perfect, just being real with you.

I find myself on the receiving end of such grace and mercy all the time and it just blows my mind. It's amazing to me the set of friends God has given me, in spite of myself. I'm truly thankful for them, and would not be the same person I am without them. I learn something from each one of them almost every single day. How to be more loving, giving, understanding, gracious, caring...the list goes on and on. I supposed God knows exactly what I need and who best to deliver it because more often then not one of my sweet friends will deliver the exact learning that I needed. And sometimes it's not exactly what I want to hear. But that's what friends do right? We teach each other, we hold each other accountable and we stand in the gap for each other when we feel like we don't have the energy of strength to stand up for ourselves. I've been on the receiving end of that kind of love and believe me, there is nothing like friends who will love you no matter what.

So I look at my friends and I hold them in high esteem, I want to love them the way they have loved me. I want to stand in the gap for them, and care for them regardless of their circumstance. That's what Jesus does, he's there all the time when we need him, never turns his back, never tells us he can't love us because we made the wrong decision or did a bad thing. He forgives us, shows us mercy and gives us grace. He makes us a priority, he chooses us because He loves us all the time.

That's the kind of friend I want to be. How about you?

No comments: